Since its humble beginning in 1996, social media networks have slowly become an integral part of our modern lives.
We use social media to stay in touch with friends and family. We use social media to connect with people from across the world and build communities. We even use social media to share our talents, thoughts, opinions, and much more with the entire world.
And if that’s not all, social media networks are also attracting businesses as well. Modern companies use social media platforms to reach out to potential customers and market their products.
So just how much is social media a part of our lives? How big has it become?
Well, to get a clear picture, you’ll need access to real-world numbers.
Table of Contents
- General Social Media Marketing Statistics
- Social Media Statistics by Social Media Platforms
- Facebook Statistics
- Twitter Statistics
- LinkedIn Statistics
- Pinterest Statistics
- Instagram Statistics
- Snapchat Statistics
- TikTok Statistics
General Social Media Marketing Statistics
As such, we have put together a long list comprising of some of the most impressive statistics on social media we could find. So without further ado, let’s get started:
As of 2021, there are more than 3.78 billion social media users worldwide.
According to Statista, currently, there are 3.78 billion social media users globally, and this number will only increase in the following years.
One of the biggest reasons behind the rise in social media users is the fact that more parts of the globe are getting internet connectivity – especially in developing and under-developed nations.
Facebook is the most popular social media network with over 2.853 billion active users.
According to a survey conducted by Statista in July 2021, Facebook leads the social media market with the most number of users.
Taking second place, we have YouTube with 2.291 billion active users, followed by WhatsApp in third place with 2 billion and Instagram with 1.386 billion.
The average person has 7.6 social media accounts.
It’s estimated that most users have well over 7 social media accounts, with younger users having close to 9 accounts.
This is mainly because the users never delete their social media accounts even if they stop using them. As such, even if a person technically uses 2 or 3 social media networks, it’s expected that they have an average of 7 active social media accounts.
99% of users access their preferred social media network via mobile. Only 1.32% prefer accessing social media exclusively via desktop.
Almost every user prefers accessing their social media through their smartphones rather than from a desktop.
This is one of the reasons why most social media networks are optimized for mobiles. Even Facebook’s latest design update changed the layout of the desktop website to match the design of its mobile app.
In the US, 90% of 18-29-year-olds are active on social media.
Younger people are more active on social media compared to elders. The number of people that use social media steadily decreases when in increasing age groups.
The figure drops down to just 40% of 65+ year-old US citizens who use social media.
In the US, 78% of women are active on social media compared to a relatively smaller 65% of men.
In the US, it’s been found that more women prefer to use social media compared to men.
However, in other regions, especially in Southern Asia, more men are active on social media than women.
On average, people spend around 2.5 hours on social networks and messaging
Social media has become part of our daily life. And, that’s apparent from the statistics that people spend around 2.5 hours on average daily of their life on social networks and messages. People can check to get information or are just addicted to social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram and scroll through them endlessly.
73% of the social media marketers think that social media marketing is an effective way to do business
There is no doubt that brands understand the importance of social media platforms. That’s why 73% of the social media markets believe in the power of social media marketing and say that social media marketing is effective for their business. If you pick any of the available sources, most brands include social media platforms as part of their marketing strategy. Social media marketers reach the people and build trust among their followers, improving brand loyalty.
54% of the social media users use social media to research products
The statistics can also gauge social media impact that 54 % of the social media users utilize the social media platforms to research about the platform. This is because they look for genuine reviews and recommendations within their network. As for brands, it is vital to have an online presence and facilitate a good environment for sharing reviews and feedback.
A large portion of customers(71%) recommend the brand to their network(family and friends) and share their positive brand experience
Customers are very vocal when they get good service. According to LYFE, almost 71% of the customers tend to go to social media and post about their positive experiences. This also means that they recommend it to their family and friends. Sharing positive experiences improves your brand business and builds brand loyalty.
Influences play a crucial role in brand trust-building
With the growth of social media platforms, we also got social media influences. These individuals play a big role when it comes to brand recommendations. According to Fourcommuncaitons, 49% of the consumers share that they depend on influencers when it comes to brand recommendations. Here also, trust plays a crucial role. As consumers trust the influencers, they will also tend to trust the brand they advocate.
To truly understand the social media statistics, we need to go through each popular social media platform. In our social media statistics post, we will cover the following platforms:
Let’s get started with them one by one.
Facebook is the most popular social media platform out there. With over 2.85 active users on a monthly basis, it enjoys the attention of the social media users. Facebook is heaven for data and statistics. To truly understand what it offers, we need to go through some of its fascinating statistics. In our endeavor, we took the help of Facebook publishing tools and other online verifiable resources.
- On average, Facebook users spend 58 minutes a day on the platform
- In the U.S, the number comes down to 38 minutes a day
- On average, daily 1.82 billion users log into Facebook.
- In a month, the Facebook app gets downloaded 100 million times
- Out of the total social media visits, Facebook gets 45% monthly visits.
- Video ads are popular among young users(18-24 years) as they spend 75% of their Facebook time on video ads compared to more older users(65+ years)
- Around 50-55% of U.S adults use Facebook to consume news.
- Out of the total Facebook users, 74% visit Facebook daily
- Facebook stories get around 500 million users.
- Facebook has more than 10M+ groups on Facebook. These groups are used by more than 1.4 billion users every month.
- Mobile device users account for 98.3% of the total users across Facebook
- Among the high-income users, Facebook is used by 75% of them.
- 2.85 billion active users log into Facebook monthly.
- in the US, 69% of the adults use Facebook
- The total Facebook mobile active users stand at 2.68 billion.
- With 310 million Facebook users, India ranks as the number one country for Facebook audience size.
- The United States accounts for 190 million Facebook users.
- Brazil accounts for 130 million Facebook users.
- Indonesia stands at 140 million Facebook users.
- Women(18-24 years) amount to 9.4% of global active Facebook users.
- Male(25-34 years) constitutes the biggest Facebook demographic.
- SMBs constitute 90 million pages on Facebook.
- 5.2 % of a Facebook post likes are organic reach.
- The ad revenue of Facebook goes up 22 percent YOY.
- In B2C marketing, Facebook utilization improves to 97%.
- 45-54 age group clicks the most ads monthly on Facebook.
- 57% of the audience is male, whereas the rest, 43% is female.
- Israel is the leading country when it relates to monthly ad clicks.
Twitter is a different take on social media platforms. They deployed a short way of communication, and people across the world do like it! Twitter is also very popular and you will find popular entities such as brands, celebrities, and politicians. Twitter is also the hub of instant communications with brands, and as a consumer, you can expect brands to reply to you with solutions instantly. Let’s look at the Twitter statistics below.
- 24 minutes is the tweet’s half-life.
- Every day 500 million tweets are sent every day.
- In the U.S, 92% of the U.S population knows about Twitter even when they do not use it personally.
- Japan, India, and Brazil are the top three countries after the U.S to use Twitter.
- On average, 9000 tweets per second are generated by the users on Twitter.
- For an account on Twitter, the daily limit is set to 1000 messages and 2400 tweets per day.
- Across the world, Twitter is utilized by 353 million monthly active users.
- Twitter saw an increased average of 34% YoY on their mDAU(monetizable daily active users). This means the mDAU stands at 186 million.
- Men constitute 70% of the Twitter audience, whereas females constitute 30% of the Twitter users.
- When it comes to the U.S, Twitter’s audience seems to be more educated and younger compared to the rest of the U.S population.
- The 25 to 34 years age group constitutes 28.9% of the global Twitter users.
- In Q3, 2020, Twitter mDAU is 186 million.
- Companies see an improvement in customer satisfaction by 19% using Twitter.
- Twitter’s brand followers that already purchased from their brand constitute 69%.
- Out of all the companies on Twitter, 92% do at least one tweet per day.
- Customer service is important — 85% of the Twitter SMB users.
- First purchasers of new products — 53% of Twitter users.
- Out of all the B2B business marketers, 75% of them are on Twitter.
- Twitter’s advertising reach increased by 8.4% from quarter to quarter.
- Using adverts, Twitter marketers can reach 5.8% of the audience.
- From the U.S, Twitter’s Ad revenue has reached 1.78 billion dollars for 2021.
- Twitter ads have the highest reach in the U.S and then Japan.
- Twitter ads are also watched more compared to other platforms by 26% more view time.
- The Twitter ad audience consists of the 25-34 age group for males and the 18-24 age group for females.
- YOY for Q3 2020 Ad engagement increased by 27%.
- Every single day, on average, 172K new users join the platform. That means every second, 3 professionals join the platform.
- Over 90% of the executives think that LinkedIn is a great social platform to find professionally relevant content.
- Every minute on LinkedIn, 3 people get hired. In respect, 55 job applications get submitted every second.
- Annually, Linkdln gets 280 billion feed updates views.
- Every day, a total of 2 million videos, articles, and posts are published on LinkedIn.
- Every week, LinkedIn receives 9 billion content impressions.
- Out of 10 millionaires, 4 are active on LinkedIn.
- Every week, 3 million users post on LinkedIn.
- Out of all the LinkedIn users, only 1 million have published an article.
- Users’ average visit duration is 8.52 minutes.
- Out of all the users, only 16% shares actively every week, whereas 39% don’t.
- On average, users visit 10.5 pages before leaving LinkedIn.
- Only 2% of the total users have not joined the LinkedIn group.
- LinkedIn has over 772 million users worldwide.
- Out of all the uses, 42.6% are female, and 57.5% are male.
- Mobile device traffic constitutes 57% of total LinkedIn traffic.
- On average, LinkedIn sees 310 million users monthly.
- LinkedIn gets most users from the U.S, with over 174+ million users from the U.S.
- On LinkedIn, the countries with the most LinkedIn users after the U.S include Great Britain, China, Brazil, France, and India.
- On LinkedIn, more than 50 million companies are present.
- On average, 40 million people are on LinkedIn are looking for a job.
- The total number of skills listed on LinkedIn is 36K.
- Through LinkedIn, 45% of marketers think that they have gained customers.
- After Facebook, LinkedIn is in the second number when it comes to the B2B marketplace.
- For lead generation, 89% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn.
- LinkedIn InMail has a 300% higher response rate compared to traditional email. It also has a 10-25% hit rate.
- The majority of the B2B leads(80%) come from LinkedIn regarding social media traffic.
- The percentage of LinkedIn premium account holders is 39%.
- Senior-level influencers constitute 15% of LinkedIn.
- Among buyers, LinkedIn provides an influential channel when it comes to making purchases. 52% of buyers think LinkedIn is the right place to make research/
- B2B marketers also enjoy higher generating revenue on LinkedIn by 38%.
- Most B2B marketers(97%) think that LinkedIn helps them drive content marketing strategy.
- The majority of LinkedIn(49%) users earn more than $75,000 per year.
- LinkedIn’s Sponsored InMail offers a staggering 52% open rate.
- If you post an ad on LinkedIn, it will reach 12% of the world’s population older than 13 years of age.
- LinkedIn is 28% less costly compared to Google AdWords when it comes to cost per lead.
- Video Ads’ average conversion rate is 6.1% in the U.S. It is more compared to any other platform.
- The LinkedIn Ads ROI is liked by 58% of B2B advertisers.
- You get a 40% conversion rate for LinkedIn Message Ads.
- With Lead Gen LinkedIn forms, you get a 90% cost reduction in cost per lead.
Pinterest is a platform where you can share your inspirations and ideas. It offers a great collection of various ideas and gives the audience a way to feed their curiosity. Businesses also utilized Pinterest to showcase their work and reach their audience. Let’s explore some of the interesting Pinterest statistics below.
- The monthly average visual searches on Pinterest include 600 million.
- Mobile apps constitute 85% of Pinterest usage.
- An average user does 8 searches per month on Pinterest.
- The Pinterest users are also heavy spends. They are 29% more likely to spend compared to non-Pinterest users.
- There are 200 billion pins on Pinterest, out of which 75 billion pins are uploaded.
- In the U.S, 43% of internet users have a Pinterest account.
- Pinterest is twice as likely to be used by high-income households compared to low-income households.
- From the U.S, Pinterest has 98 million active users.
- In the U.S., 21.7 million users are male, and 78.3 million users are female.
- Only 25% of Pinterest users come from the U.S.
- Over 60% of the Pinterest audience are female.
- Most Pinterest users are between the age of 18 and 29. Under 40 years, you will 67% of the Pinterest users.
- Out of all the Pinterest users, 87% of the users bought a product due to Pinterest. In contrast, 93% of Pinterest users aim to buy something in the future.
- Only 3% of the Pinterest searches are branded, while 97% are unbranded.
- Pinners save items to purchase later amounts to 76%.
- Almost half of the Pinterest users(48%) have shopping as a priority.
- With Pinterest ads, marketers can reach around 3.1% of the world’s population.
- The U.S is the highest reach ranking for Pinterest. The next country on the list is Germany.
- 14% of the ad audience are male, while the rest, 77% are female.
- The Pinterest advertising’s reach quarterly is 5.8%.
Instagram is now part of Facebook. Before Facebook acquired Instagram, it was well-known for providing millennials to share information about their day-to-day lives through pictures. Instagram is very popular among influencers and is also heavily used by businesses all around the world.
- 60% of Instagram users login to the platform on a daily basis.
- The Instagram app has more than 7 million installs worldwide.
- Out of all the content on Instagram, 59% is photo posts, 14.9% is video posts, and 26.1% is carousel posts.
- Out of all the Instagram users, only 21% log in weekly.
- More than 50% of Instagram users are below the 34-year-old mark.
- The largest Instagram demographic falls under the 18-24 years old group.
- 1.38 billion users actively use Instagram.
- Under the age of 12, only 5% of U.S. children use the platform.
- Out of all the Instagram audience, 49% are male, and 51% are female.
- The top three countries using Instagram include the U.S.(140 million), followed by India(120 million), and then Brazil(95 million).
- Daily active users that use Instagram stories stand at a staggering 500 million.
- Out of all the Instagram users, 90% follow at least one business.
- 67% of Instagram users believe that it improves brand interaction with their customers.
- 89% of Instagram users think that Instagram is a big social media platform for influencer marketing.
- The business on Instagram sees an average of 1.46% monthly growth.
- Instagram is home to more than 500K active influencers.
- Instagram Ads reach the U.S audience the most, followed by India and Brazil.
- Half of the Instagram users become interested in a brand when they see their ads.
- On Instagram, businesses and brands can utilize Instagram to reach 1.16 billion people using Instagram.
- Instagram’s audience range from 25-34 age group when it comes to advertising.
- Out of all the Instagram ad audience, 49% are male, and 51% are female.
- On Instagram, brands can reach 19% of the population using adverts.
Snapchat offers millennials a way to interact using stories. Users find it easy to share videos with it. So, what does Snapchat holds? Let’s explore.
- Snapchat users generate more than 4 billion snaps every day.
- Every year, daily snap creation sees a growth of 25%.
- 76% of the daily active users utilize augmented reality when engaging.
- Every day, Snapchat users spend 30 minutes on average.
- The average daily shows watched on Snapchat see a growth of 50% YoY.
- The discovered content saw an increase of 35% YoY for total daily time.
- In the U.S, 46% of the user use the Snapchat app multiple times per day.
- In the U.S, Snapchat is the 7th most popular app.
- In the U.S, Snapchat is ranked 2nd when it comes to the most used messaging app. Worldwide, it is ranked 5th.
- Every minute, 2.1 million snaps are created on Snapchat.
- The total number of active Snapchat users is 293 million.
- Since 2019, Snapchat has been enjoying a yearly(YOY) daily active users growth of 18%.
- Snapchat main audience is Gen Z and millennials, and it is able to reach 75% of them.
- North America has the highest number of daily active Snapchat users at 101.4 million. Europe has 71 million.
- The 13-34 age group of Snapchat users in the U.S constitute 75% of the users.
- The Snapchat users constitute 38% male and 61% female.
- Snapchat saw an increase in 17% YoY revenue growth. They have generated $454 million in revenue.
- $1.91 is the average revenue per Snapchat user.
- $.340 is the average revenue per Snapchat user in North America.
- Out of all the U.S. marketers, 32.7% use Snapchat.
- Snapchat is home to 64% of the companies.
- Snapchat mobile users are 20% more likely to make purchases.
- Celebrity endorsements let 40% of the Snapchatters discover a brand
- At least once a month, Snapchat users use mobile to make a purchase.
- More than 20% of the Snapchat users bought something that they found on Snapchat.
- Through Snapchat, Genz and millennials spend more than $1 trillion.
- Snapchat Snap Ads recorded 64% of the Ads to be played with the sound on.
- Snapchat Ads cost $3000 per month.
- $50000 daily is the price from where Snapchat Discover Ads start.
- Snapchat users give Snapchat ads 2x attention compared to other platforms such as Facebook.
TikTok is aimed at baby boomers and Gen-Z. It lets users upload small clips where they can share their creative work with the audience. Businesses also know about the audience and hence utilize it to the fullest. Let’s learn more about TikTok by going through the statistics below.
- TikTok users spend 80 mins per day in the age bracket of 4 to 15. Others spend 52 minutes per day.
- In the U.S, the users spend 500 mins monthly.
- TikTok gets more than 100 billion average monthly video views.
- 9 out of 10 users open the TikTop app daily. For U.S. users, it is 8 out of 10.
- Each individual sessions last 4.9 minutes or more, which is more than other social media platforms.
- 6.8 out of 10 watch others videos on TikTok.
- 850 million users use TikTok worldwide.
- In the U.S, over 100 million users actively use TikTok monthly.
- On daily basis, 50 million users use TikTok in the U.S.
- Out of all the TikTok users, 47% are female, whereas 53% are male.
- In 2020, TikTok reached 315 million downloads Q1 2020.
- Worldwide, TikTok has 167 million daily active users with 689 million monthly active users.
- TikTok is available worldwide in 154 countries. It is also available in 75 languages.
- Gen Zers constitutes 60% of all TikTok users.
- Through app purchases via Google Play and App Store, TikTok gathered $75 million.
- From the Indian ban, TikTok lost $500K. The ban also cost TikTok 15 million new users.
- In 2020, TikTok made $500 million in the U.S.
- With 2.4 million followers, TikTok influencers charge on average $800 per post.
- From the U.S itself, TikTok will make $500 million in 2020.
- U.S audience spends a lot on in-app TikTok purchases, totaling $75 million.
This leads us to the end of Social media statistics. In no way, the list is complete. However, we aimed to list as many
- https://www.oberlo.in/blog/tiktok-statistics https://www.statista.com/topics/737/twitter/